About Blog Practice Areas Prepare Your Case Contact Press Affiliates

Child Custody and Domestic Violence

Kentucky family law courts routinely deal with cases involving child custody and domestic violence.  In Jefferson County, we have a “one family one court” system.  The advantage to this is that charges of domestic violence can be heard in circuit court where family law cases are handled.

There considerations involved when deciding whether or not to actually file a domestic violence claim.  Because the offender will be reported to certain data bases, it could jeopardize his/her ability to seek or maintain gainful employment.  Their record would now indicate that they are classified as a domestic violence perpetrator.

If you are currently relying on the same individual for child support and other payments, the loss of a job may negatively impact your cash flow and ability to meet your expenses.  While finances are never a justification for victimization, you have other options available.

You can petition the court for a No Contact Order.  Violations of this order would still be punishable, but the immediate risk of job loss, resulting in a loss of ability to meet court ordered financial obligations can be minimized.  Child custody and domestic violence obviously don’t mix.  Again, let me be clear, finances are NEVER a justification for victimization.

There are various protective orders, which can also be filed if you are a victim of physical or sexual abuse.  These are primarily:

  • Emergency Protective Orders (EPOs)
  • Interpersonal Protective Orders (IPOs)
    • Temporary Interpersonal Protective Orders (TIPOs)
  • Domestic Violence Orders (DVOs)

Where Do I File for a Protective Order?

According to the Administrative Office of the Courts, there is an Office of Circuit Court Clerk in every Kentucky county. For contact information for all 120 Offices of Circuit Court Clerk, visit http://courts.ky.gov/courts/clerks and select a county.

  • You can obtain a protective order 24 hours a day.
  • There are no fees or costs for filing a petition.
  • After business hours, you should contact your local law enforcement for assistance in obtaining a protective order.

If you have an attorney, you can also contact her for assistance in filing the order.